Most patients with concussion can be managed effectively and safely in primary care, provided that they demonstrate progressive symptom recovery.
A new concussion management pathway is being piloted by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC)/Te Kaporeihana Āwhina Hunga Whara, that incorporates the Brain Injury Screening Tool (BIST) and simplified referral pathways to more efficiently triage patients and optimise management in primary care. Our focus is consistent and equitable care.
About the concussion pilot
- Find out more about concussion management for primary care professionals
- Concussion Pathway Summary: The ACC Concussion Pathway for primary care (PDF)
- Concussion Management Summary: The rest to re-engagement strategy for managing patients with concussion in primary care (PDF)
- Survey: How confident are you when treating patients with concussion?
- FAQs about the Concussion Pilot (PDF)
Can I take part in the pilot?
If you are a practitioner working at a general practice or urgent care centre in Canterbury, you can take part in the pilot. Your practice or centre must be using MedTech32 or MedTech Evolution PMS.
To get involved in the pilot:
- Go through the education modules below
- Complete the online expression of interest form
- BPAC module – An overview of concussion/milk traumatic brain injury management for primary healthcare professionals
- Goodfellow Unit – Concussion/Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
Brain Injury Screening Tool (BIST)
View the Brain Injury Screening Tool (BIST) videos below and read about the BIST rules in Manage My Health (PDF)
|Manage My Health – BIST User Guide (6-minute video)||BIST: a guide to TBI assessment – by AUT Traumatic Brain Injury Network (7-minute video)|
As a GP, if you decide to do a 15-minute follow-up assessment, charge the normal code plus the GPCP1 patient co-payment code. If you choose to do a 30-minute follow up, then use the GPCP2 code by itself. Rural GP and UC can use co-payment charges in addition to normal charges.
|SI Code||SI Description||Short Code||Payment|
|GPCP1||Patient Co-payment fee for 15 minutes GP Concussion Assmt & Ttmt using BIST||GCP1||$40.65|
|GPCP2||Patient Co-payment fee plus 30 min GP Complex Concussion Assmt & Tmt using BIST||GCP2||$119.90|
|RPCP1||Patient Co-payment fee for 15 minutes Rural GP Concussion Assmt & Tmt using BIST||RCP1||$40.65|
|RPCP2||Patient Co-payment fee for 30 minutes Rural GP Concussion Assmt & Tmt using BIST||RCP2||$81.30|
|UCCP1||Patient Co-payment fee for 15 minutes Urgent Care Concussion Assmt & Tmt w BIST||UCP1||$40.65|
|UCCP2||Patient Co-payment fee for 30 minutes Urgent Care Concussion Assmt & Tmt w BIST||UCCP2||$81.30|