Summer is here and with longer days and warmer weather it is the perfect time to connect with friends and whānau. Here are a few ways you can enjoy the outdoors and spend time with loved ones from the Puāwai-Kai team:
- Move your next whānau meal outside to enjoy fresh air. Lay out a rug, move a table outside, or take your meal to a park. Then you can enjoy a walk, game of touch, a slide, or a swing. Slip, Slop, Slap, and Wrap.
- If you are indoors try and eat dinner with your whānau or flatmates around a table. Put your phones away and kōrero over kai, such as sharing the day’s events.
- Enjoy summer vegetables and fruit. Why not try our Tomato and Bean Salad, using cherry tomatoes and cucumber or whip up a Green Salad with whatever you have in your fridge, or even better, your garden. Try delicious recipes at a FREE cooking course in Christchurch — Puawai Kai | Health For You And Your Whanau
- Often celebrations are focused on ultra processed foods. Take time to think about how you can provide kai that looks after the health of your whānau. Make a tasty side dish such as hummus, pea pesto or roasted chickpeas; balance out BBQ meats with salads and vegetables or serve a beautiful platter with summer fruits
- If you live alone, invite a friend for a meal, and share the load by bringing a dish
- Summertime can be a chance to catch your breath. Take time to reflect on your health and set some goals. Think about your eating, activity, managing your stress, connecting with others and your sleep. What small steps can you take?