If you have arrived in New Zealand from another country, you need to know that you and your family can get most health services through your GP team.
If you are eligible, enrol to get cheaper health services and support for yourself and your family from your doctor and general practice team.
Enrolling is free. Ask your general practice receptionist about eligibility. Please bring your passport with your current visa or letter from Immigration New Zealand if you have one.
Bring any information you have about you and your family members’ health, including vaccinations books and medicines you are taking.
Health services in New Zealand are confidential.
These services are available to all enrolled patients:
- Free interpreting services in your language
- *Partnership Community Workers (PCWs) to help you and your family access health and social support services you need
- Free counselling service with professional interpreters if needed
- To find general practices where they speak different languages, use our Find a Pegasus Health GP tool.
*Only available for those enrolled at a Pegasus Health practice.
To find out more about the benefits of enrolling with a GP team, see Your Health > Your GP Team.
What if I need help finding health care?
Partnership Community Workers (PCWs) can help you:
- enrol at a Pegasus Health General Practice
- get to your doctor/hospital appointments, if transport is a problem for you
- visit Work and Income, if you find it difficult to pay for the doctor
- find other Community Services to support you.
Translated information on how the New Zealand health and disability system works
For translated information on the New Zealand health care system, see Your Health > Useful Links & Resources > Online Resources.